Wavelength 712 – 1 nanometre
- Nicolai Howalt & Plethora Magazine
- published by: Plethora Magazine, Cph, Denmark
- year: 2016
- designed by: Plethora Magazine
- format: 100 x 70 cm
- 200 g. Arctic volume with UV lacquer seal
- no. of edition: 60 / signed by the artist
- price: € 250 – free shipping within Denmark
Limited edition Light Break poster. Numbered and signed by the artist.
In 2015 the legacy of Niels Finsen was revived when the Danish artist Nicolai Howalt, in collaboration with Medical Museion, Copenhagen, initiated an artistic reinterpretation of Finsen’s research, resulting in the release of “Light Break”, 2015. Enticed by the opportunity to offer a photographic vision of the mysterious chemical rays isolated by Finsen, Howalt applied Finsen’s original convex lenses and quartz filters in experimental pursuit of seemingly raw aesthetic depictions.
Mounted on a large-format analogue camera, the lenses absorb both the visible and the invisible rays from the sun, allowing for direct exposure on emulsion-coated paper. As a result, the exceedingly colourful and chemically infused images extracted from these exposures give perfect testament to the extreme spectrum of light in which Finsen operated.